Eight Ways to Improve Your Credit
Credit scores, along with your overall income and debt, are a big factor in determining if you’ll qualify for a loan and what loan terms you’ll be able to qualify for.
- Check for and correct errors in your credit report. Mistakes happen, and you could be paying for someone else’s poor financial management.
- Pay down credit card bills. If possible, pay off the entire balance every month. However, transferring credit card debt from one card to another could lower your score.
- Don’t charge your credit cards to the maximum limit.
- Wait 12 months after credit difficulties to apply for a mortgage. You’re penalized less for problems after a year.
- Don’t order items for your new home you’ll buy on credit—such as appliances—until after the loan is approved. The amounts will add to your debt.
- Don’t open new credit card accounts before applying for a mortgage. Having too much available credit can lower your score.
- Shop for mortgage rates all at once. Too many credit applications can lower your score, but multiple inquiries from the same type of lender are counted as one inquiry if submitted over a short period of time.
- Avoid finance companies. Even if you pay the loan on time, the interest is high and it will probably be considered a sign of poor credit management.
This information is copyrighted by the Fannie Mae Foundation and is used with permission of the Fannie Mae Foundation. To obtain a complete copy of the publication, Knowing and Understanding Your Credit, visit http://www.homebuyingguide.org/
Reprinted from REALTOR® Magazine Online by permission of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®. Copyright / All rights reserved.
The best way to contact us is by email: Our general delivery email is email@example.com
Lisa Moore, Broker In Charge, can be reached at 803-427-5516 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tripp Montgomery can be reached at 803-243-9147 or email@example.com
Jo Montgomery can be reached at 803-243-1813 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Elli Hill can be reached at email@example.com